Saturday 14 June 2008

Let's Sky Dive

Well, I spent a few hours getting some refresher training with the instructor. They decided I should do a level 3 sky dive to start. Even though my last jump was a level 9, it was 18 months ago, and the rules say that for 'currency' you need to do a level 3 refresher. This is a jump with 2 instructors from 11K (so expensive.. aboot 100 quid), they keep you stable and then they try to release you, and you show you can remain stable, then do a 90 degree turn to the left.

At 5000 feet you pull.

The plane was a lot bigger and faster than the wee cessnas I was used to. There were 10 of us crammed inside. We all sit on the floor inside (no seats). I was stuffed in at the front facing backwards. All I could see was the end of the plane.

I'm not a very good backseat passenger in a car or train if I can't see where I am going and have external reference to my surroundings.. After take off the thing shot up into the air at about 45 degrees and started bumping around, and all I can see is the inside of the back of the plane...

Anyway, suddenly I'm sweating like a paedo in a playground. I can hear my ears buzzing that way they go when you are going faint, and I feel as if I'm about to be sick.

Not stress/nervousness I don't think, just not being able to see anything. Anyway, got through the first safety checks but by 5000 feet I was really feeling like I was going to be sick. The instructors were looking at each other, and clearly about to abort it all.

Bugger that, so I told them I was all better, and ran through all the jump rehersal (though still not sure how I avoided being sick). I figured I'd probably be ok once I jumped out.

We got to 11K, and got out of the door (you stand up in the door with your head out of the door in the airstream, check with the instructors (one either side) and then jump out in a star shape (your stable arch position).

I did this and got stable right away, however my left instructor was no where to be seen.

I checked with my right and was going to continue with the dive, then I saw the left instructor below me, making back up to join, so waited for her.

Once ready, I did my instructor checks, my practice touches (where you check you can find the pull), and then did my 90 fine. I shouted no more work at 6000 feet, and pulled at 5000. Chute came out fine, and after doing a flare, and 2 360s to test it flies ok, I glided down.

Still feeling like I was going to puke up at any minute I might add.

Anyway, with the competition on, I had to pilot my chute around the competitors, avoid the busy runways and helicopters, and land safe. That went fine, landed on my feet and level 3 complete.

However, I can't say I enjoyed it much, though I imagine the sickness didn't help.

No comments: