Tuesday 25 October 2011

coming home early

weather still foggy in san diego. Nick and Whitters are gonna hire the Harleys for a day tomorrow - drive up the coast - stay the night, and come back the next day.

I've done it before though a few times, and am not really too bothered about doing it again - for the money I'll save not doing that I can buy a new carbon propeller for the Bailey. Plus, I don't have any of my gear with me and don't really want to wear one of their badly fitting piss-pots. Plus no leathers at all and I doubt they'll hire them - so it'd be riding in trousers and a regular jacket - not really very good protection - especially on roads you don't know. So I'm gonna give it a miss.

As it is, I've changed my return flight to Wednesday rather than the original Sunday. It'll get me home 4 days early - and who knows - maybe a few spells of decent weather at home will get me out on the bike or into the sky.

I've had a couple of days of thinking about alternatives, and can't really think if anything I really want to do - We might have been able to hire some paramotors in Phoenix, Arizona but it's 400 miles away and would probably have just been flying around an airport. I considered hiring a car and driving up to Lake Havasu (home of the 'London Bridge') for better weather, but it would still have been an extra 5-600 quid or so which could be used for other things if I come home early.

So - a bit of a messy trip really - Some nice flights in the end - I think my total was 5 or 6 long flights. Plus I got a bit better at low level flying. But it wasn't the mecca of paramotoring holidays that I expected it to be.

No comments: