Monday 12 November 2012

Fiat 500

So, they gave me a Fiat 500 hire car. 

Well, they gave me a choice of a toyota yaris and a few other things, but I fancied the 500.

The thing is - they must have just started importing them over here. I have literally not seen another one. Maybe there are a few in Orlando (where I picked it up), but not down here on the coast.

Not only that: but I've not seen anything else as small either: there are no 'smart cars' over here for example. Basically I've got the smallest car in Florida I think.

Plus - this is Florida: home of the 'true american' : whereas on the west coast you'll see tons of japanese and european cars - over in Florida they are the minority: it's still Harleys, full size trucks, and hideous big Buicks and Cadillacs that look like they have been designed by a 5 year old. Some of them are truly awesome: yesterday I say one that had a vinyl roof !! 

Anyhoo - driving this thing around is making me feel like a celebrity! Folk stop and stare! Younger folk (<40) seem to like em - kids give me the thumbs up, etc. However the died in the wool american republicans (and Florida is full of em! - churches, and religious radio everywhere) not so keen…. I had some old bloke out cutting his grass, stop and give me the thumbs down! 

Admittedly it's not the best colour: sort of 1940s green.

Quite what they did to it to make the american model though is a mystery: the thing is automatic, has been given typical american 'steer with your finger' light power steering, and seems to drive like a car twice it's size (which is not a compliment). They have somehow 'americanised' it to drive like every other piece of shit american car.

On the plus side - it's got cruise, aircon, iPhone connection, leather seat, etc, etc. 
 
It's just that any 'nippy', 'fun-ness' that it may have had is gone: truly stunning that they've done that to it. I imagine if you drove a mini over here it would feel the same. Even the doors feel like they have been loaded up with lead to make them feel heavy and 'sturdy' or the americans.

that aside, the driving position is weird: it's like an old Lancia: you are sort of pointed at an angle with your legs angled off out to the side.

1 comment:

Steve Scruton said...

Love it Stu.
You could fit it in the back of the other one!