Saturday 12 July 2008

Out to SA again!

Well, writing this from the BA executive lounge in T5 Heathrow. It's pretty special. Terminal deserted, and no queues at security.. obviously no flights on sat nights ? Anyway, 2 big lounges each end of the massive glass building for us business types :-) Really nice facilities.. every wine and spirit, beer and fruit juice under the sun..except champers.. no bloody champers.. I think I will complain.. Nice fresh sandwiches, soups, etc. Top nosh.

So now got a couple of hours to kill before the departure, so sitting in a sofa typing this on the free PCs with a glass of chablis.

I notice Gordon Ramsay has a restuarant here. It was empty. But then again, the whole place is empty.. I've never been in an airport during the day when it is so quiet. very weird.

Just watched an AirIran plane take off... could this be a connected fact ?

So, Im off to Joburg/Pretoria for another 3 weeks. 2 weekends to do summit or other... after crashing and burning on the sky diving, I have been thinking of something else I can do.. and today it came to me!

I have an aunt in Durban, which is about 650km away from Joburg on the east cape coast.

I was originally thinking of flying down, but it would be a bit much to go down for the whole weekend in Durban with my aunt and uncle.

Then it struck me... if Mr McGregor can do it, so can I !

Long way round it may not be, but I can still have 2 mini-weekend biking adventures.

So, the plan is to hire a BMW motorcycle (same one as he used) for the weekend, and blat down to Durban, see my aunt, uncle and neice, and then blat back.. so about 1200km in 2 days. Which, if you are a biker you will know is a lot of miles. An awful lot of miles.

But it will take me through the Zula Natal, through some amazing scenery I'd miss in a plane.

Assuming I am still alive, the next weekend, the plan will be to hire a bike again, but this time go to some of the national parks and see some wildlife on the bike.

I've brought my HD video camera, and my bridgeSLR, so I am all gadgeted up to take some good footage. I've even brought my satnav with SA maps, so I won't get too lost.

I've got a seperate bag with my helmet, gloves and leathers in.

Let the adventure begin!

No comments: